Dark Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
Simple, 7-ingredient dark chocolate quinoa breakfast bowl naturally sweetened with maple syrup and infused with rich cocoa powder! A healthy, hearty plant-based breakfast or snack.
- 1 cup (172 g) uncooked white quinoa
- 1 cup (240 ml) unsweetened almond milk, plus more for serving
- 1 cup (240 ml) coconut milk (light canned, or the beverage in a carton)
- pinch sea salt
- 2 Tbsp (10 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45 ml) maple syrup or coconut sugar
- optional: 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3-4 squares vegan dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Thoroughly rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer for 2 minutes, using your hands to sort through and pick out any discolored pieces or pebbles that may remain.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add rinsed, drained quinoa and toast for 3 minutes, stirring frequently, to dry up water and slightly toast.
- Add almond milk, coconut milk, and a pinch of salt, and stir. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and cook for 20-25 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally. If it stops simmering, increase heat to medium-low. You’re looking for a slight simmer throughout the cooking time.
- Once the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender, remove from heat and add cocoa powder, maple syrup and vanilla (optional). Stir to combine.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed. Add a bit more almond milk if you prefer the texture thinner. I added more cocoa powder and maple syrup for a more intense chocolate flavor.
- Serve each bowl of quinoa with a small square of vegan dark chocolate, and any other desired toppings (listed above). I preferred mine with a bit more coconut milk, hemp seeds, and fresh fruit (optional).
- Best when fresh, though leftovers will keep covered in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave, or in a small saucepan with additional almond milk to add moisture back in.
Serving size: 3/4 cup (1 of 4 total servings)
- Calories: 236
- Fat: 6.7 g
- Saturated fat: 3.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.9 g
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 120 mg
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 7.5 g