The perfect breakfast for a lazy and chill Sunday morning would be the very delicious homemade French Cruller Donut made with buttery pate a choux with honey glaze toppings to give that sweet flavor. Rest assured that you will fall in love with this French Cruller because it is not only fancy and pretty looking but is so simple to make.
French Crullers are pretty ring-shaped donuts with an eggy, buttery, and light-textured pate a choux dough that is deep-fried and then glazed with honey.
Here’s the recipe for French Cruller Donut
In this recipe, the amount of salt added is much more than required in typical cruller dough because I enjoy the contrasting flavor of the salt and sweet. But depending on your taste, you may reduce the salt.
· ½ cup of whole milk
· ½ cup of water
· 8 tbsp of butter
· 1 tbsp of granulated sugar
· 1 and a ½ tsp of salt
· 1 ¼ cup of all purpose flour, unbleached
· 3 large eggs
· 1 large lightly beaten egg white
· 2 tbsp of grated lemon
· Ingredients for the glaze
· 1 and a ½ cups of powdered sugar
· 1 tbsp of honey
· 2-3 tbsp of milk
· 1 tbsp of pure vanilla extract
· Briskly boil the water, milk, butter, salt, and sugar in a large size heavy-bottomed saucepan at medium heat.
· Remove the saucepan and put all the flour in a go. Using a wooden spoon, stir it vigorously until combined and moistened.
· Place the saucepan to the heat and cook for about 3 minutes, not forgetting to stir the entire time. Do it until the dough starts to feel smooth. Then put the dough into a mixer bowl and let cool.
· Now add two eggs to the dough and, on medium speed, beat the dough until thoroughly combined with the dough.
· And add the third egg after scraping the sides of the mixing bowl. Beat them and then put the lemon zest and egg white and beat them until combined. And leave it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
· In the meantime, heat a frying pan with enough vegetable oil at 375 degrees.
· And cut out parchment squares of 3×3 inch, and brush each of them with oil.
· Remove the dough from the refrigerator and put it into a pastry bag with a star tip. Pipe a circle of dough onto the paper.
· When the oil is ready, place the Cruller into the frying pan with the paper side up for 1 minute, then remove the paper and cook for about 6 minutes.
· Using a slotted spoon, remove the golden-brown crullers onto paper towels to drain and leave it to cool.
Instruction for the glaze
· Put all glaze ingredients into a bowl and mix them thoroughly to combine. Add milk to obtain a runny texture but still thick enough to stick.
· Dip the cooled Cruller into the glaze and enjoy it.
This recipe will make about 10 French Crullers. They’re excellent as leftovers too. Thus, with this easy to make recipe of delicious French Cruller Donut, have yourself a delightful morning breakfast and pass on the pleasure to later in the day with the leftovers.