The original mozzarella-sticks recipe is not a healthy choice for two reasons:
- they’re covered in breadcrumbs, even white flour
- they’re fried, usually in a deep fryer.
Instead, you can roll the mozzarella sticks into a grounded seeds mixture instead of the breadcrumbs, and bake them in the oven instead of frying them.
Without using white flour, without breadcrumbs and by keeping the nutrients with a healthier cooking process, these mozzarella sticks are a tasty, healthy option, whenever you feel like having a snack.
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup ground sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 lb mozzarella cheese, cut into 3/4 inch x 3/4 inch strips
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
First, whisk the eggs and milk together in one bowl and the dry ingredients (seeds and spices) in another bowl. Second, coat each piece of mozzarella with the ground mixture, then dip in the egg mixture and again roll in bread crumbs.
Finally, spread them on a baking sheet and bake them in a preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until they are golden.